Senior Project Manager – BI/Data
Reports to PMO Director
General Statement of Job
This role is responsible for project management that encompasses projects related to Business Intelligence, Data Warehouse, Analytics, Master Data Management (MDM), Data Governance and reporting. The successful candidate will interface with stakeholders representing all areas of Austin Community College. The project manager will also interface with external vendor partners responsible for delivering the final software product and systems integration consulting services necessary for the successful implementation. This role is ultimately responsible for coordinating, monitoring, controlling and communicating all relevant project-related activities to all appropriate stakeholders. There will be support for the project manager, but the ideal candidate will need to be someone who is self-motivated, can work with minimal guidance and preferably has higher education experience and knowledge.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinating projects and activities related to the BI and Data implementations including but not limited to project planning, execution, monitoring, controlling, testing and implementation of various modules of the selected platform.
- Must be willing and able to follow formal PMI project management processes including but not limited to: creating charters, building work breakdown structures and facilitating formal project communications with various stakeholders.
- Acting as the business relationship manager for the various internal organizational groups and representing BI and Data implementations to all appropriate stakeholders.
- Establishing work plans for project activities, iterations or phases, and arranging for assignment of project personnel as needed.
- Providing leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project lifecycle and conferring with project staff to outline work plans.
- Acting as the primary liaison between external partners and internal stakeholders during all phases of the project.
- Working with all project stakeholders and overseeing the closing of all related risks, issues, action items and decisions and the closing of the entire project upon completion, including access removal, test environment decommissioning, documentation and “lessons learned”.
● Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies
- Knowledge of Agile delivery methodologies is required
- Knowledge of concepts related to Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing and commonly used modern analytical dashboard design
- Information technology and instructional resources technology terminology, practices, policies, procedures, and specification development of hardware and software.
- Financial, personnel, and administrative functions of a technology department.
- Budget & Resource planning, projection, and analysis.
- PMP or equivalent certification preferred
- Scrum Master certification preferred
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Proven ability to lead a team through a large enterprise implementation & transformation of Data related projects.
- Excellent project and program management skills are required.
- Experience with organizational change management.
● Strong skills with project management software and other work productivity tools are required.
- Maintain an established work schedule.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
● Strong relationship building, negotiation and facilitation skills.
● Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
● Maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
● Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships, including the ability to coordinate the work of others.
● Ability to analyze complex information and develop plans to identify and resolve issues.
- Highly effective time management skills.
● Strong risk management skills.
Required Work Experience
- Eight or more years of related work experience in mid-sized to large organizations of moderate to high organizational complexity.
- Four or more years of complex project management experience.
- Two or more years of experience with hands-on project management managing all aspects of projects from initiation to close.
- Two or more years managing projects related to BI and Data implementation.
- Experience providing direction, coaching or mentoring to junior project managers and/or project team members.
- Must be able to demonstrate having used formal project management techniques in the past.
Preferred Work Experience
● Eight or more years of business unit facing experience, with sensitivity and commitment to business problem solving.
- Five years’ experience successfully managing complex and risky projects end-to-end.
- Five years’ experience as a project manager in a similar capacity with specific end-to-end BI and Data Analytics implementation experience.
- Two or more years working in a higher-education environment.
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse teams.
- Experience leading projects in the following areas is highly desirable:
- Data migration
- Data governance & Master Data Management
- Higher-Education Student Information Systems (SIS)
- Prior experience with a major BI implementation
- Bachelor's degree in business information systems (IS), computer science or related field, or equivalent related IT experience or certifications.